Sunday 15 January 2012

music=life

My life would end without music, it's as simple as that.

Songs make the world go round, and they help us connect to emotions and memories in a way that may be deemed otherwise impossible.

I can't tell you the number of times when I knew I was about to go through some form of physical pain (stitch removal, wound cleaning, blood tests) when I would automatically pause the doctor only to scramble frantically for my headphones. Music=a source of distraction. 



Haven't you ever heard a song and thought, wow those lyrics are basically written for me! That's my song! Heartbreak? Everybody hurts, by REM.  Your ex found someone new? Everyone knows, by John Legend. Even the most tasteless songs- IE "I just had sex and it felt so good" (Akon) - are about .. well.. real life experiences. 

On that note, there was this one time I was in a club and 'I just had sex' started playing. I swear every guy in the club was going insane and fist pumping and waving their arms to it, and I laughed and laughed because it was just so typical! I guess my point is, even the most shallow lyrics offer us some sort of a connection to them.

Songs remind us that there is someone out there who understands whatever it is we're feeling, whether it  is hope, joy, sadness, pain, anger or complete and utter devastation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment