Friday 20 January 2012

stop playing with your phone!


In the past, I never doubted the phenomenon that we call technology.  As a result of it, life has become so much more efficient and interesting. I can sit in front of my computer and learn about whatever I want. Cultures, accents, BOYS, music, you name it. 

On the other hand, technology has  also created several negative side effects.


It doesn't bother me that a great majority of us would not be able to survive without our mobile phones or laptops. Technology has made life so much easier for us, and it is fair that we would not want to give that luxury up.

It's the loss of face-to-face communication that scares me. 



Ideas have become so easily exchangeable (I can’t tell you how many things I’ve learnt from Facebook statuses), but at the cost of intimacy and personal contact. Break ups happen through text messages, even marriage proposals happen on the radio. People deal with their problems by emailing about them as opposed to talking. 

Consider the simplest of examples. You're having dinner with your friend, your son, or your mom, and you're trying to have a conversation with them. However, you can't focus because they keep texting people or playing with their phones. You basically just want to scream, 'LEAVE YOUR PHONE ALONE FOR 10 MINUTES!' Sadly, we don't even realize that the precious moments we take advantage of everyday are consistently interrupted by the buzzing of our mobile phones. I know I'm guilty of succumbing to trivial text messages during family dinners, and I should make a change.

Therefore, face-to-face communication has become a serious opportunity cost as a result of the development of today's gadgets. Yes, technology has fueled globalization in an astonishing manner, but have we lost sight of the more important things in life because of it? 



No comments:

Post a Comment