Friday 23 March 2012

Nick Vujicic; an inspiration.

I'm sure you would have heard (something along the lines of) the following complaints before:

"My arms look so big."
"I hate my legs!"
"Why can't my thighs be thinner?"

I hate to admit it, but I must have made those complaints about a million and one times. I'm a girl and sometimes we are just twits like that, even if we know we are being ungrateful. 

Then one fine day, I watched this video and it woke me up quite a bit. 


This man, Nick Vujicic, is absolutely remarkable. Born without arms or legs, he still manages to live his life with such a lovely and cheerful demeanour. I remember thinking that culture might have been a factor that led to his sunny disposition, because many of the Australian people I know have a similar outlook on life. This bright and carefree way of living is one of the many things I admire about this country. 

Nick's story has inspiration and class embedded deeply and inseparably within it. In hindsight of watching more videos about him, I can see how trivial and redundant my everyday complaints are. This is not to say that I am going to turn into a saint overnight..it just means that I am now a tad more AWARE. 

We don't think twice about walking, brushing our teeth or putting our glasses on. We type on our phones, hold hands, play sport and even wiggle our toes without considering how lucky we are to have such basic privileges. I am not saying that this is anyones fault. It is common to associate 'being fortunate' with wealth, not so much with having arms and legs. 


I have pondered upon the following question countless times. 
Who gave one person the allowance to be so physically beautiful, while another has a deformity on his face? Why is global wealth  unfairly distributed? Why is life seemingly more unkind to some people? 

I didn't get my answer until I watched the video above and realized that minor setbacks are often compensated with greater, more exceptional and beautiful qualities. Heroes like Nick Vujicic are born as a necessity; they are angels who are sent to earth to teach the rest of us a very important, simple lesson. 
Life is about living. 


No comments:

Post a Comment