Monday 16 January 2012

Fate VS Coincidence


Fate and coincidence. Where do we draw the line between the two, if there even is one? 

I'm a champion cynic, but after I moved to Melbourne in 2011, I started to see that maybe not all things can be linked to coincidence. I'm a firm believer in timing; timing is everything. BUT, most of the time we tend to perceive that statement negatively.  Think about it. You meet the girl or guy of your dreams, but they're leaving to another country. You love someone but they're not ready to settle down. You want to travel the world but you don't have enough money. Then out come the facebook statuses and the twitter updates: "i'm gonna miss you so much..fml". "my life is horrible bla bla bla."



Sometimes we forget that the 'timing is everything' statement also applies to the positives in life, which is where my belief of fate comes in. 

Due to unfortunate circumstances during February 2011, I had to miss my university orientation and thus the golden opportunity to make friends. I chose a random subject to do because someone told me it was good to take it. NEVER DO THAT PLEASE. I had absolutely no idea what it was about, it was called 'From Homer to Hollywood'. I thought it would be about the simpsons or famous people (oh how wrong I was). Anyway I went to one lecture, and dropped it straight away. However, the people I met in the one subject I discontinued pretty much became my closest circle of friends. I was so damn lucky. 


Yes, of course you can argue that it was a coincidence. However, the person I am now believes otherwise. You must have had at least one monumental experience that you almost missed (but thankfully didn't). In my opinion, that's the universe's way of placing you somewhere you need to be. It can't be a coincidence that you met someone special..no no no .. moments like that are not an accident. There is a reason for everything. 

''Wow my life is so terrible because the timing is so bad and the universe owes me a living..."

Always remember the number of times that fate has been kind to you, when it led you to be at the right place at exactly the right moment.

With that in mind,  I may sound like a preaching saint right now but I assure you I am not. I have a temper and I can be ungrateful. I am sarcastic, ridiculously cynical and I also complain about things. But like you, I'm only human. 

I'd also like to add that I know coincidence still exists. For example, it was not fate that you and your colleague wore the same shoes on the same day. Let's not blow things out of proportion kids.





No comments:

Post a Comment